Saturday, September 20, 2014

Victoire Belgian Beer Bar

My first time checking out Victoire Belgian Beer Bar in Rochester, NY was a success last night. I think it's a little pricy, and I'm not sure the food is fantastic (I only had a flight of four 5 oz. beers for $13), but the atmosphere is great and their beer list is fairly impressive. That being said, I know it is the best Belgian beer list in the area, but not sure it's the best beer list in the area (The Owl House, The Old Toad or Chocolate and Vine would be strong contenders).

Here was my flight, four beers I was allowed to pick off the draft menu, so I naturally just picked four I'd never tried before, and I also wanted four different styles:
(1) Duchesse de Bourgogne by Brouwerij Verhaeghe (Flanders Red Ale) - I found this to have a distinct vinegary aroma and taste, almost like red, balsamic or apple cider vinegar, but not in an offensive way, it was sour but tart and sweet too from cherry notes, very dry, mohagany color with lasting head and legs. I enjoyed it for it's uniqueness, but don't think I could have multiple goes at this at one time, very acidic. 6.2 % ABV. More here.
(2) Omega Dubbel Nitro by Galaxy Brewing Co. (Dubbel) - this is a nitrogen version of the same beer Omega Dubbel by Galaxy Brewing Co. from Binghamton, NY, it had a distinct incense aroma and taste, smoky, maybe peat?, sweet mild spice with a dense mouthfeel, semi-dry with sludgy legs. Never had a beer that reminded me of incense before so that was cool. 9.7% ABV. More here (scroll down while they still have this beer on tap).
(3) Brother Thelonious by North Coast Brewing Co. (Belgian Strong Dark Ale) - fruity, juicy, cherry, dark fruit (plum), some banana, light golden caramel notes, spicy, peppery, clove, mohagany/dark amber, thinning in the mouth, dry and no head. 9.4 ABV. More here.
(4) Maredsous 10 Tripel by Abbaye de Maredsous (Tripel) - warming at the end, herbal/honey nose, floral, spicy, medium mouthfeel, lingering sweetness, some legs/head, semi-sweet, slightly acidic/vinegar?, this one grew on me as I drank it, found it more complex as I kept going, very light color for the alcohol and it covers it beautifully. 10% ABV. More here.

Beer of the night: This is a tough one to call, I enjoyed each immensely for their individuality, but I'll throw this one Maredsous 10 Tripel, it was just more complex but more subtle and grew on me really nicely.

Go check out Victoire here (but don't trust their " Now On Tap" menu it was different when I went even last night).

No comments:

Post a Comment